Taking too long to respond or responding inappropriately to a crisis damages your company’s reputation and possibly your career. 5Gbenefits moves rapidly under intense scrutiny. Every action and statement is judged. Be sensitive to the power of social media. Small issues or unintentional coincidences get picked up by others on social media very quickly, which can result into a PR crisis.
When using social media to communicate, be sure to:
- Communicate with honesty and openness while acknowledging risk
- Collaborate and coordinate with credible sources
- Meet the needs of the media and remain accessible
- Communicate with compassion, concern, and empathy
- Accept uncertainty and ambiguity
- Listening- learn how to listen across platforms for developing issues and what clients truly need and want
- Crisis Response Plan- having a plan in place enables speedy and correct response.
- Tone- realize that empathy, humor and authenticity go a long way to resolve crises and diffuse tense situations
- Top-Down Adoption- responses should be directed from the top management of 5Gbenefits
- Follow Through- follow-up and follow through with the people affected by the crisis
The crisis response is what the management of 5Gbenefits will do and say if a social media crisis happens. Public relations play a critical role in the crisis response by helping to develop the messages that are sent to various places. 5Gbenefits’ initial response to a crisis follows three guidelines: be quick, be accurate, and be consistent.
- Be prepared to use part of your current web site to address crisis concerns
- Be prepared to use the Intranet or enterprise social networking as one of the channels for reaching employees and any other stakeholders than may have access to your system
- Be prepared to utilize a mass notification system for reaching employees and other key stakeholders during a crisis.
- Be prepared to utilize your existing social media channels for responding to your crisis.
The mass notification system provides a mechanism for people to respond to messages as well. The response feature is critical when crisis managers want to verify that the target has received the message.
Post Social Media Crisis:
5Gbenefits will return to business as usual. If need be, reputation repair will be continued or initiated post crisis. Follow up communication between the crisis managers, organization, stakeholders, etc. will be needed depending on the amount of information promised during the crisis and the length of time it takes to complete the recovery process. The Intranet will help keep employees updated. Messages and information will be delivered via phone calls, text messages, and email.
5Gbenefits encourages you to share your passion and tell the world about your work. We wish to provide our company, as well as others, integrity, professionalism, and privacy before partaking in any social media activity. Please refer back to 5Gbenefits Social Media Policy Guidelines.
Images courtesy of: